Rainbow

Rainbow

Monday, May 15, 2017

Still Jogging After All These Years

I’m still jogging after all these years. Am I still crazy after all these years?

It came to me on my latest lope around Seward Park that I have been jogging on and off for well over forty years. Over forty years!

Most recently, I’ve been doing the three-mile jaunt around the park on an occasional Sunday when my gym is closed.

I don’t consider myself an athlete, and I certainly don’t have an athlete’s body. I marvel at runners that whiz by me with their sinewy gastrocs, hams, and quads tightening and tensing with glorious anatomic precision. I have none of that.

Years ago, I met a woman in her fifties who reported that she was an avid jogger and that she ran regular 10Ks. Her legs were flabby, without definition, and I thought – a jogger, really?

O ye of little faith, for that is how my body is today, despite regular gym workouts – and despite having a long running history. Five years ago I ran a half marathon, for heaven’s sake!

Anymore, my goals are tempered and conditional. I begin a run by telling myself I’ll only go as far as I feel comfortable. I reassure myself that I can stop whenever I want to.

I marvel at the half-mile point that I don’t feel winded and that my legs and back are holding up without major aches, throbs, stings or twinges. So far, so good.

I’m astonished when I hit the two-mile mark that I’m still going strong. I am plodding, but I feel no dismay that I am the slowest jogger in the park. Every other runner sprints by me. I pass no one – except for walkers, and that doesn’t count, right?

At three miles, I pump my fist in the air and chuckle at my achievement. Yes!!!

I am 67 years old and I am still jogging after all these years – and it feels crazy good!

                                            1985, with my kids after a 10K run

           2012, with my daughter, Stephanie, after finishing a half marathon




No comments:

Post a Comment