Rainbow

Rainbow

Friday, June 22, 2018

A CALL TO BIG BUSINESSES TO HELP MY SEATTLE NEIGHBORHOOD FLOURISH




A few weeks ago, on one of my many drives past the corner of Rainier Ave South and South Henderson Street, I recalled a failed effort two years previously to draw in a name brand business. The grocery store located in the strip mall had gone out of business, and there was a call on the NextDoor blog site to come help make a video to send to the Trader Joe’s home office.


The hope was to attract the corporation’s attention and bring in one of their stores. Over one hundred of us showed up at the abandoned grocery store. We came with banners, I along with many others clutching my TJ’s grocery bags. Many were interviewed for the video, and we all chanted: We want Trader Joe’s. The cheerleaders from Rainier High School across the street represented the younger generation, and added some glitz and pizazz to the event. We were on fire!

Nothing came of our effort.

A Dollar Tree Store, a gym, and small businesses moved in – the strip mall remained faceless and dull.

That same day I drove on Othello past MLK, crossed over the light rail line, just a few blocks from my home. This is a road I have travelled countless times, and I mused on the four restaurants on that corner that have come and gone since I had moved in ten years ago. There seemed to be no long-term traction with businesses in the area.

And I asked myself: why is it that the big names don’t come to poor and not always safe neighborhoods like this? It seemed to me that if Trader Joe’s were to move in, they would have a profitable business – and they would raise the quality of the neighborhood immensely.

And what about restaurants? How would it be to have a Tom Douglas restaurant move into the Othello Station building? Why would that be such a big stretch? He has his ardent followers – which include me, and many others who live in this neighborhood – and we would come out in droves to support a venture like his. And, most importantly, with one or two big names in the area, it would pave the way for other lesser-known restaurants, ethnic restaurants, because the big names would bring in the “chic-ness” and the traffic would follow because more people would be drawn to the area.

This would be a risk, true, for the big names, but really, they are doing so well already – in the chic parts of town. Tom Douglas has sixteen restaurants in the Seattle area – all of them in upscale neighborhoods. Could he not step into and help restore the more downtrodden areas of the city?

These ideas percolated in my head for several days, and then this past weekend I walked three blocks to the “Othello-Bration,” a gathering of different neighborhood groups and entertainers.



I spoke to a spokesperson for HomeSight a nonprofit organization whose mission is to create strong equitable communities. They are the developers of the Othello-MLK corner lot where the celebration was being held. I chatted with the spokesperson about wanting a big-name Tom Douglas restaurant to go in there – he said he was in contact with the Monsoon restaurant owner about just that. We had a good laugh! He shared that Columbia City was a scary place a dozen years ago – unsafe and with nothing much there. La Medusa, a very popular and well-respected restaurant was an early settler. Now that historic landmark neighborhood is thriving. I felt encouraged -- there is hope for the Othello neighborhood!

I also spoke to an Assistant Principal of the Rainier Leadership Academy a Green Dot Charter School. They are housed in temporary huts on the Othello- MLK lot and their students are flourishing. A permanent structure for the school is breaking ground in the next year.

I went inside a converted shipping container, which housed the community organization called Beet Box. This group of volunteers created a world herb garden, and they provide all kinds of gardening tips and materials. They also host gatherings such as book swaps and free barbeques.

Across the street, the SEEDArts group hosted a booth. This is another nonprofit whose byline is The Power of Art in Building Community. The organization supports an arts center, a loft for artists, a radio station, and they just funded the creation of a gorgeous mural on the side of the Othello Safeway store.

I am glad to have seen the upside of my neighborhood after being exposed to some of its underbelly – the sirens wailing several times a day – and through the night, the random gunshots, the unkempt figures muttering and swearing as they plod up the hill past my home, the cars revving and blaring expletive hip-hop, the bands of young men hanging about, heads bent together, pants hanging off their butts. Their piercing looks as I drive by send a frisson of fear into my gut.

Despite the underbelly, our community is out and about. I love to walk and jog and greet my neighbors along the Chief Sealth trail. I take my grandchildren to the park down the block from my townhouse and chat with other families. In the height of summer, my granddaughter frolics in the sprinklers at John C Little Park and in the wading pool at the Van Esselt Park. I love having a library branch a block away, and there are many, many community functions, block parties, and potlucks.

I believe my neighborhood is in transition, and I want it to flourish. I am grateful for all the good work that has been done to date, and which continues to improve our community.

There is more to be done.

I call on Tom Douglas, the leaders of Trader Joe’s, and other upscale businesses to take a risk. I challenge them to do their part to help make the Othello/ Rainier Valley neighborhoods flourish.

Rest assured that you will find support here.

What have you got to lose?


3 comments: