Rainbow

Rainbow

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

P52 Week 11 - Negative Space

The photography prompt for this week’s Project 52 defines negative space as the space surrounding the subject in a photo.

Here’s the space around me. I’m sitting on my queen size bed and on it is my treasured Aussie mohair Oncaparinga blanket that I’ve had for over fifty years. It was a gift from my parents when I was a teenager and was carted all the way from down under to the U.S. The blanket is now threadbare, but still warms me on cold nights and keeps me cool enough on the rare hot Seattle summer days. Mohair is amazing! I have a Martha Stewart bed-in-a-bag bedspread, shams, decorative pillows and drapes. I am ‘matchy-matchy’ as my daughter often teases me. I guess the younger generation isn’t into that all-of-a-kind fashion these days. I look to ways of finding matching sets to make up for the decorative talent that I lack.

My bedroom furniture is Ethan Allen – bought thirty years ago – about the only furniture I took when I left my first marriage. It took me a long time to find this set and I have enjoyed it for years, but I’m now getting tired of looking at it and the drawers are sticking and sagging when I open them. Turns out the craftsmanship touted by the venerable company just isn’t there.

On my dresser I have pictures of my family: my daughter on one side, my son and his wife on the other and my granddaughter in the center – and she, of course, is the centerpiece in our lives. I also have an ornate china lidded vessel – Herend porcelain – a gift from my mother a few years before she passed away. When she married my father she had her china custom made by the famed Hungarian porcelain manufacturer. For her, such fine china was a symbol of status and elegance, and so I have a little of that in my bedroom. Next to it is a small jewelry box. Taped to the top of it is an abstract picture drawn by my daughter when she was only a few years old. I have always loved the intricate patterns she created and have thought them quite precocious for her age. As I pull out and put on my earring studs every morning, I love to gaze at her artwork, a touching touchstone to my daily routine.

Behind my bed I have a Georgia O’Keefe print, purchased when I toured her museum in Santa Fe some years ago. I got to go through her studio and was impressed with how organized she was cataloguing her colors – hundreds of shades stacked by hue – and how she kept scores of paint brushes immaculately clean and stored according to size. Her genius was uncluttered – enviable!

Also on my walls I have pictures my daughter, Stephanie has taken: a calendar she creates every year: this one features recent trips we have taken together to Crater Lake and to Mt. Rainier. I have the joy of gazing on a new amazing photo every month. I also have a shot of me with my granddaughter that Steph took in Hawaii that greets me as I walk in the room. Her photos of frangipani and hibiscus also adorn the walls, reminding me of my beloved tropical sacred space.

I love the view outside my window: the green space in the center of the cul-de-sac, the surrounding town houses that line the street, the silhouette of the Cascade Mountains against the sky; the glistening waters of Lake Washington that peak out between the trees and buildings. And, as part of my view, I have a special gift: on clear mornings I get a glimpse of the side of Mt. Rainier – a sliver of Little Tahoma as the easterly small peak is named.


I knew this townhouse was the place for me when I went about looking for a new location eight years ago. As I sit in my bedroom, gazing about my ‘negative space,’ I am happy and I know that I have chosen well. I am glad that I listened to my heart, my intuition, my gut. I am glad I paid attention, and I am grateful to be here.





No comments:

Post a Comment