Rainbow

Rainbow

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

P52 Week 9 - Alternate Light

I am drawn to the ‘alternative light’ of the moon.

Years ago, my then husband and I dined at friends who owned a house on Lake Sammamish. We sat out on their deck overlooking the water on a balmy summer’s eve, enjoying pleasant company and a delicious barbeque meal. As we were savoring our desserts – delectable homemade blackberry tarts – the moon, huge and glowing, magically appeared over the eastern rise and gradually spilled its light onto the stilled lake waters. I couldn’t help but gasp at its mystic beauty. Our host beamed – his voice trembling a little with awe. “The moon’s appearance was ordered especially for you. It’s part of the evening’s entertainment.”

Some months later, when my marriage had soured and I had moved out to gain some distance and have time to reflect, I spent many gut wrenching hours alone. One moonlit night I found myself out in the back yard of my rental house wailing like a wolf – softly, so the neighbors wouldn’t hear – and I began to sing. I sang Brother Sun, Sister Moon, written by Donovan for the movie of the same name. It was my prayer to the moon goddess, asking for consolation, begging for respite from my grief and my rage. 

Brother Sun and Sister Moon
I seldom see you, seldom hear your tune
Preoccupied with selfish misery

Brother Wind and Sister Air
Open my eyes to visions pure and fair
That I may see the glory around me.

I am God's creature, of Him I am part
I feel His love awakening my heart.

Brother Sun and Sister Moon
I now do see you, I can hear your tune
So much in love with all that I survey.

After some time, I did feel a sort of consolation begin to seep into me. As if affirming what I was sensing, the moon winked at me from behind a cloud. I broke out sobbing, but these tears were of understanding and filled with gratitude and love. My racing heart soon settled into a smooth rhythm and my body thrummed with a calm knowing.

Now, decades later, when the often-cloudy Seattle skies clear up and the moon is visible, I am sometimes moved to seek out its pearly watery reflection. I chase the moon around the Western shores of Lake Washington, looking for the perfect spot to park and gaze across the watery expanse. There is nothing like moonlight on still waters. The light fills and warms my heart and I smile.


At home, I open my blinds and allow the moon’s glow to envelop me. When life is stressful and I feel uptight, Sister Moon again consoles me. My heart settles into a smooth rhythm and my body thrums with a calm knowing.





No comments:

Post a Comment