Rainbow

Rainbow

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

P52 Week 14 - Framing

Years ago, when in Hawaii, I bought some notecards that had tropical flowers such as orchids and Hawaiian grass embedded in lacquer. I loved the cards for they reminded me of my cherished nature place. I brought them home and I delightedly informed my then husband that I planned to frame them. He scoffed, “They’re just cheap notecards, Liz.” Undaunted, I had a frame store fashion custom mats and gold edged frames for them. I proudly mounted the notecards myself, Windexed the glass, sealed the backs of the frames with masking tape and hung them – six of them – in an elegant arrangement on my wall. Those pictures have hung in five different homes over the past thirty years.

My daughter’s a professional photographer, but you already know that, for her stunning photos are part of my blog. She has taken some amazing pictures all over the world – and yes, she has done photo shoots in Hawaii. In comparison to her brilliant work, those notecard flower pictures have become too dingy, too impersonal and much less relevant.

A few weeks ago, I decided replace the notecards with photos of tropical flowers that Stephanie had taken, thinking I could re-use the old matting and frames. Excited to begin my project, I cut out prints from a weekly calendar that Steph had gifted me with some years ago. The frame matting was an olive green, completely the wrong color to complement her photos. Undaunted, I came up with the bright idea of repainting the mats, using long ago stowed away watercolors. I brushed on layer after layer of red and yellow in an attempt to hide the green and finally succeeded in achieving a muddy rose tint. I wasn’t completely happy with the results but I pushed on, only slightly discouraged. I mounted the photos in the mats only to find that the sizing was completely off: the mats were not wide enough in one direction and were too long in the other. Erg! I kept at my floundering project, plodding on, refusing to give up. I added a white strip below the picture: “Steph can sign here – make it kind of like a formal autographed print,” I reassured myself, halfheartedly. By this time I was getting pretty tired and frustrated from my less than stellar artistic attempts. Nevertheless, I pushed on, wanting to finish the dratted project. I hurriedly placed the pictures in the painted mats, put them in the frames and mounted them on my bedroom wall.

“No, no,” Stephanie announced as I sheepishly showed her my botched creative endeavor. My daughter was absolutely right: my framed concoction looked awful. She and I are planning to have new prints made and will mount them in new matts and frames that will fit perfectly.


And therein lies an important lesson: I can’t always use an old frame for new work, no matter how hard I try to make it fit. And hasn’t that been true in my life as well? I’ve so often had to reframe how I view the world. How about you?





1 comment: