Rainbow

Rainbow

Monday, May 25, 2015

P52 Week 21 -- Still Life

An extraordinary hibiscus plant sits on my kitchen island next to a Corion cutting board. On the other side, adjacent to the island, is my granddaughter’s high chair. On the golden wall behind is a framed photo – taken by Stephanie, of course – of a beloved tropical scene: a profusion of yellow hibiscus flowers amid palm trees with the deep blue sea in the background.

I had bought several beautifully full and flowering hibiscus plants before, but once in my home, they withered and dropped their leaves. As if in silent protest to be wrenched from their tropical home and dumped into the colder Northwest, they wasted away and refused to bloom ever again.

I even attempted to grow frangipani trees. With excitement, I carried tree twigs home from Hawaii, gently stowing them in my carry-ons. I planted the sticks according to the perforated cellophane package instructions and waited and waited for the unfolding of the fragrant essences. I became overjoyed when a few feeble leaves appeared, but with growing dismay, watched them shrivel. Then, the trunks collapsed, rotten to the core.

A year ago, a saucy vermillion hibiscus plant flirted with me at Trader Joe’s. In a weak moment, I placed her in my shopping cart. Why not try again, I thought to myself, even if it’s just to enjoy the blooms that are already on the plant. I wanted that reminder of tropical paradise – in my home – now!

And so I brought her home and soaked up the glory of the bright red blossoms. The initial blooms dropped off. I held my breath. The plant’s leaves remained intact – drooping a little as a reminder when I was late with my watering.  

Then, a few weeks ago, I espied a tiny bud on one of the branches. I hardly dared to hope. “Look Ada, a new bud on the hibiscus plant,” I exclaimed to my granddaughter perched in her high chair, spooning ice cream in and around her mouth. (Grandma is a softy when it comes to treats.) Ada poked her nose toward the bud (we sniff flowers all over the neighborhood on our walks.) “Not yet,” I smiled.

I was fascinated as the bud grew day by day. And then, it sprung open into a gorgeous four-inch spanned gift of the divine. The bloom lasted hardly more than twenty-four hours – but oh, what enchantment! Each time I spread butter or chopped or sliced, my tropical companion brought a glow to my heart.

That particular branch of the hibiscus has been generating bloom after bloom. Yesterday, I was startled to see the stunning beauty of yet another flower as I turned from the fridge to set milk on the island. In your face, she announced to me in her full glory. In my face, indeed, for I have been feeling sorry for myself.

I have no travel plans. I have no trips scheduled and everyone around me is flying to exotic destinations: Hawaii, Mexico, San Diego. I’ve even succumbed to sulking about it: I have nowhere to go; no one wants to travel with me; woe is me!


But my hibiscus blossom, in my face, on my kitchen island, reminds me of all the many travels I’ve enjoyed, and she points out that I have a piece of tropical heaven right here, right now. Soak me up and revel in me, she urges. And my god, there are other buds waiting in line to open up and open me up to that same lesson. In my face, indeed.





No comments:

Post a Comment