Rainbow

Rainbow

Friday, June 5, 2015

P52 Week 22 - Abstract

Recently, I’ve wanted to deepen my spiritual connection. How did I arrive at this awareness, for it is certainly abstract? It began as a small unsettling, a subtle disquiet. It surfaced into consciousness as a tiny niggling thought, as a yearning for something more – even more than the general happiness and satisfaction I have in my life.

Where did it come from? I don’t know. What do I do with it? I’m not sure I know that either. It’s easy to dismiss it and I’ve done that many a time but this time the draw to deepen is persistent; it keeps coming to mind, and the opportunities for clarification are springing up all over.

Amma – the hugging saint – comes to town and I absorb her loving presence; I have dinner with a soul girlfriend and spend a day on Whidbey with another soul girlfriend.  With these remarkable women, I have the opportunity to open up about the niggling inside. I get to articulate the abstract, the ephemeral, the cloud of unknowing. And then in my regular spiritual direction session, I flush out the abstract even more and I come up with a plan: to read inspiring material, to slow down, to start the day with intention, to meditate more often. It’s a re-commitment to what I already know.

I want a deepening. I want that abstract something to become tangible – I want to feel it, see it, hear it, taste and smell it.

And what if I don’t get it? What if I don’t get there? The exercise to try to obtain it is a worthwhile endeavor.  My search for spiritual connection – that which binds us all – people, animals, plants, earth, universe – is a lifelong odyssey: hard to get my arms around but when I experience it in fleeting glimpses, it’s as real – even more real – than my mundane happy everyday.

And so I begin the trek, this next stage of my abstract expedition, my pilgrimage to find the divine, the sacred that is within, and already here.





No comments:

Post a Comment