Rainbow

Rainbow

Saturday, June 20, 2015

P52 Week 24 - Monochrome

Monochrome…black-and-white. I’m not a black-and-white fan. – I like color too much and was delighted when color TV was introduced in the sixties. I do like the idea of different hues of a single color – like a monochrome of purple, for instance, or rose – rose-colored glasses. Looking through rose-colored glasses – staying optimistic. Perhaps that is not such a bad thing in today’s bah-humbug, fatalistic world.

Monochrome…. Single-mindedness, presence, bare attention. I still struggle to achieve this in my daily meditations, and I find it much harder to realize bare attention in a world where multi-tasking is considered to be an efficiency devoutly to be desired (apologies to Shakespeare,) where I am bombarded with a plethora of multimedia: instagrams, emails, apps, text messages, Facebook, Twitter, ads and shows – all shifting by the millisecond. It’s challenging to slow down enough to quiet the mind and focus on one thing – monochrome.

Monochrome …… inflexibility: the inability to see issues from more that one perspective. Ah, I am guilty of that, for I can be as opinionated and judgmental as the best of them. I am learning to be less so and something I heard Deepak Chopra say years ago helps ground me. He was the keynote speaker at the 1990 American Holistic Medicine Association in Seattle that I attended. Loosely quoted he said:

To look at an issue from one perspective is to be stuck in a rut.
To look at an issue from two perspectives is to have a dilemma.
To look at an issue from multiple perspectives is the beginning of flexibility
And to look at an issue from infinite perspectives – that’s enlightenment.


I strive for at least some level of flexibility and continue my daily meditations to calm the mind, and open to new perspectives.





No comments:

Post a Comment