Rainbow

Rainbow

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

P52 Week 38 -- Photographer's Choice -- Autumn

More than associating Autumn with a time of harvest, of abundance, I feel a longing for what I am losing: the expansive days, the warmth and bounty of the dog days of summer.

It doesn’t help that when I wear fall colors, I look sallow, as if I were jaundiced. Rarely have I bought outfits in golds, oranges or rusts. I’m more of an aqua, pink and royal-blue kinda gal.

Of course, I delight in seeing the red tinged leaves appearing on branch tips. I enjoy inhaling the nip in the morning air and feeling its freshness on my cheeks. My soul is moved – and yet it somehow isn’t. Do you know what I mean? It’s like I’m feeling what Autumn lovers feel. I have empathy and appreciation and I love, but it is not my love. It’s not what lies in my deepest heart.

Moreover, I mourn the loss of days that last almost forever, the light and heat of the sun, the verdant foliage, the dazzling colors of geraniums, petunias, begonias, lobelia, dahlias, and the sweetly fragrant roses. I love that I don’t feel cold for days at a time – even in the evenings, that I can wear shorts and flip-flops and forget about carting sweaters around. My body thrives in the matching ambient temperatures.

But fall it is, and I wonder: did I appreciate this past summer fully enough? Did I seize and absorb every opportunity to relish, to frolic, to dance it its deliciousness?


Then I ask myself, how many more summers will I be privileged enough to witness?





No comments:

Post a Comment