Rainbow

Rainbow

Saturday, December 26, 2015

P52 Week 49 -- Details in the Overlooked

I surf with the remote’s guide button looking for TV shows to record – especially during the holiday season. I love Christmas programs and this year, I have delighted in the high quality of the CMA and Michael Bublé Christmas specials. Surfing, surfing, I come across Anchors Aweigh on the Turner Classic Movies station. Wow!

I first saw that venerable 1945 film in the sixties. I was a starry-eyed fifteen year old growing up in Australia and I was enchanted! With the experience of a few years of ballet lessons under my belt, I judged Gene Kelly’s dancing to be phenomenal. Kathryn Grayson sang an adaptation of a piece that I had played on the violin: Tchaikovsky’s “Serenade for Strings.” Her coloratura soprano voice sparkled. Jose Iturbi’s musicality was brilliant as his fingers flew over the piano keys in a resounding rendition of Tchaikovsky’s First Piano Concerto – only to be interrupted by a charmingly unpolished character, played by Frank Sinatra, who crooned along to the tune and argued with Iturbi that the composer was “Freddy Martin.”

My favorite musical scene in the movie is the extravaganza where Iturbi plunks out Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 with a bunch of kids, each at a grand piano placed in a magnificent array on the Hollywood Bowl stage. The spectacle captured the strings of my Hungarian heart.

In the sixties, in the days before videos, VCRs, On Demand, and YouTube, it took planning to capture favored moments. When I noted in the TV Times that Anchors Aweigh was to be aired again, my younger brother and I mobilized and set up our family’s reel to reel tape recorder – yep, that was the bulky box you set up on edge with yards of delicate brown ribbon cellophane tape threaded through the magnetizer/recorder and spinning onto two huge wheels. We were poised to record the musical numbers, microphone propped up by the television set. We were careful to remain silent, stifling our giggles, so we didn’t pick up any extraneous sounds.

Tom and I were proud of our recording and listened to that foggy, crackly tape over and over again.

So, as I watched Anchors Aweigh this week, I remembered that recording effort so many years ago, and I smiled. But then I took in the movie with fresh eyes. The music and dancing were still just as brilliant, the plot maybe a little hokey, but heck, I am a romantic at heart and I’m still looking for a (mature) knight in shining armor, so why not fantasize and revel in romantic pablum.

What wasn’t pablum was the timeless, outstanding quality of the movie’s music, choreography, the actors’ talent and artistry, not to mention the first ever, innovative introduction of animated figures into the dance sequence with Gene Kelly. I learned new details from TCM host Robert Osborne: in a rare Disney gaff, Walt declined the offer to use the Mickey and Donald characters and so Tom and Jerry were cast instead. As a naïve teenager, I had overlooked many details, so focused had I been on the task of recording – and trying to keep from giggling into the microphone. Another detail previous overlooked: the definition of “Aweigh.” I had always assumed the title was “Anchors Away.”


Now as a sage sexagenarian I am happily picking up and feasting on these details, previously overlooked.





2 comments:

  1. Guilty as charged. I had forgotten about the actual recording, but I remember playing the tape of the soundtrack. We played it often enough (sometimes to impress guests) that the songs became a part of our family psyche. The movie combined the permitted (halal, classical music) with the foreign (haram, Hollywood), so Dad put up with it.

    The movie is of a different time when musicals were still popular. TCM programs not only musicals, but all kinds of films from what it terms the Golden Age of Hollywood. I may be jaded, but I like those old movies, particularly the black & white films. It used to be that screenplay and acting entertained the viewer's interest, not relentless violence, chase scenes and special effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fond memories, Tom! I, too, appreciate the Golden Years of Hollywood. They have much to teach us.

      Delete