Rainbow

Rainbow

Friday, January 1, 2016

P52 Week 50 -- Holding On -- Photographer's Choice

With my first stirrings this pre-dawn morning, the concept of holding on flooded my consciousness. Do I hold onto things too long or rather, do I let go of them too soon? As another year draws to a close, I thought it a fitting subject to ponder.

Today, I made a run to Goodwill. I unloaded three boxes of clothes that I haven’t worn for years, and a couple of sacks of paperbacks that I’ll never read. I’ve switched almost exclusively to library ebooks and audiobooks. The paring down was way overdue and I have a whole garage and office yet to clean out, but at least I’ve begun.

The impetus for the Goodwill excursion was to unload a nest of end tables that my late husband and I bought at a garage sale so many years ago, and that I have never, never liked. It’s early American and it’s my least favorite furniture style. I have tolerated the visual blight in my living room for almost twenty years.

A year ago I began the much needed rework of my dowdy townhouse. I repainted, re-carpeted, and had built-in bookshelves fashioned around my fireplace. I replaced the worn couch and frayed chairs.

“When are you getting rid of that nest of tables that you don’t like?” my son asked a few weeks ago. A day later he emailed me some links to furniture sites and asked me to choose end tables. This Christmas, he and my daughter-in-law gifted me with two stylish end tables that matched my new decor. Beautiful!

What a pleasure it was to load that dratted nest of tables into my car and to dump them at Goodwill. Good riddance!

Why does it take someone else’s initiative – my son’s – for me to mobilize and let go of what I don’t want?

On the other hand, why am I so quick to get away from activities that fill my soul? Why do I minimize my meditation time? Why do I merely glance at a gorgeous sunrise like the one that graced me this morning? Why didn’t I hold onto its luminous glow, and fully drink in its beauty?

Why do I hold onto superfluous, dreary dross for years and allow what is meaningful to slip through my fingers?

As I approach the New Year, I don’t want resolutions, but rather my desire is to notice and decide what I want to dwell on, and what I want to let go of.

I like how Kenny Rogers puts it so succinctly his classic song, “The Gambler”:

You’ve got to know when to hold ’em
Know when to fold ’em

I’m glad I held onto this morning’s pre-dawn musings.


My wish for all of us in the coming year is that we’ll know when to hold ’em and know when to fold ’em. Happy 2016!





No comments:

Post a Comment