Rainbow

Rainbow

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

P52 Week 27 - Photographer's Choice - Whingeing

Whinge, whinge, whinge. I love that verb! Learned it from my Aussie friends some years ago and it’s so much more expressive, conveys so much more than “complain,” “bitch” or “whine.”

I sometimes give into and indulge in a pity party. How about you? Recently, I’ve been whingeing about the stalled effort to publish my memoir.

You know that famous line from the Kevin Costner movie, Field Of Dreams: build it and they will come? Well, it isn’t true – not for me.

Write it and they will publish? Ha! Maybe I haven’t put it out there enough, but dang, the field of dreams was in the middle of nowhere – in rural Iowa for heck’s sake – and out of the blue, the people came. Why aren’t I having a better response to my manuscript?

I’m pouting and peevish and whining – and yes, whingeing.

But it doesn’t move me forward.

What are the next steps in getting my memoir out there? Research more agents. Hire a formal editor to whip the manuscript into shape. Build a platform – all those out-there things that intimidate my introverted personality: Facebook, Twitter, Podcasts, newsletters, lectures. Exhausting and scary!

I’m not ready to move on all that, not by a long shot.

So, I’ll luxuriate in a tub of bubbly bellyaching, bemoaning and bitching – for a while. And I’ll be gentle with myself.

Then I’ll rinse myself off and climb out. I’ll get over the whingeing and I’ll take my next step.





No comments:

Post a Comment