Rainbow

Rainbow

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

P52 Week 29 - Joy

A hot day in July. We find a lake. It’s big enough for powerboats. One roars by, pulling a giggling girl on an inner tube, but then the engine noise dissipates and all that remains are voices buzzing, squealing and crying, and water splashing and swooshing.

I step gingerly over the gravelly sand, wince as my soft footpads protest. I head for the dock, opting for the rapid water entry rather than the painfully slow, inching wading route.

The sun leaps and swirls on the water’s surface, partnering in a brisk salsa. I take a moment to marvel, then brace, anticipating the cold shock.

But I don’t hesitate. I raise my arms, cradling my head. I lean forward and dive in with grace and ease. I am pleased that my body remembers the leap I learned so long ago.

The cold flees almost as instantly as it strikes my skin and I am bathed in a deliciously refreshing cool. Ahhhh. I glide with a slow breaststroke, venture a few freestyle passes, all with my head out – I don’t want to bother with regulating my breath in and out of the water.

I roll on my back, absorb the softly lapping caresses, and bask in my good fortune.

I paddle towards my three salt-and-pepper-topped heads, my dear soul girlfriends who are bobbing about. My weekend with them is a most precious time.


I am filled with joy.






No comments:

Post a Comment